Sometimes, with just a little paperwork, patients who can't afford their medications can get certain drugs free for an entire year.
People who do not qualify for Medicaid may qualify for free drugs through "patient assistance programs" run by pharmaceutical companies.
NeedyMeds is a non-profit, free website that let's you do the following:
EXAMPLES OF DRUGS WITH Patient Assistance programs:
- Search for the drug that is needed - does the drug company have a "patient assistance" program?
- Download and print the drug company's application forms.
- Actos (pioglitazone) or Lantus (insulin glargine) for diabetes
- Cozaar (losartan) for hypertension
- Plavix (clopidogrel) for stroke or heart disease
Rxassist is another great, free, and often used public
website to look for assistance programs. You'll need to setup an account and password, but it's all free and pretty simple to use.